This was a great post by Yahoo Finance and Kiplinger.com. Click here for the full story 20 ways to waste your money.
Here are the 20 ways we waste money, sometimes without even realizing it.
1. Buying new items instead of used, particularly cars
2. Carrying a credit card balance
3. Impulse purchases
4. Paying ATM fees when using those not offered by your bank or network
5. Dining out
6. Using your standard checking or savings account instead of an interest-bearing account
7. Paying up-front fees for mutual funds. Choose no load funds instead.
8. Paying too much in taxes on your investments
9. Opting for brand names instead of generic
10. Wasting electricity
11. Paying bank fees
12. Buying things you won’t use. It isn’t a bargain if you won’t use it.
13. Owning an extra vehicle
14. Bypassing the dollar store. You can get some great deals if you know what to look for.
15. Maintaining unhealthy habits like smoking
16. Not understanding your insurance needs
17. Withholding too much in taxes
18. Paying for something that you can get for free, like library books.
19. Not using a flexible spending account to pay for medical expenses on a pre-tax basis
20. Paying for services you don’t need, for example, extra cable channels
Read the full article here. Sources: Yahoo Finance & Kiplinger.com